As the school year approaches I find my self organizing folders from last year (both paper and electronic). An entire new world of typed communication began when my first graders learned how to use email at school. One way I used email was to check for conceptual understanding of a skill or strategy taught. I would often place an open ended sentence frame at the front of the room for them to complete and send to me in an email. I was shocked when I learned that email opened a door for my quietest students to connect with me. I already knew this subgroup of learners were bright, intelligent and learning. I just had trouble tracking their conceptual understanding each day. My orally confident kiddos always make my job of assessment easy :) Providing students TIME to type and then writing them a RESPONSE\ were key to capitalizing on this communication and assessment tool. The kids needed time to type a well thought out email and their communication was reinforced by receiving an timely email response.
Here are a couple screenshots of first grade academic response emails:
Here are a couple sweet emails students sent from home. You know you are in the digital age when... first graders are sending you emails filled with kind
words instead of handing you hand drawn pictures.
It was always so amazing to watch them really focusing in their email messages and fluency they developed with the process!
ReplyDelete