These new common core standards seem much more simple in 1st grade. Luckily the first grade standards are a natural scaffold for the following year. I am finally able to see all of our hard work come to fruition after looping up to 2nd grade with my same kiddos. Character analysis in 2nd grade is tough and requires making inferences, connections and finding textual evidence to support inferences. The most powerful comprehension skills my students are using to assist with this standard are being able to infer at the word and visual level, as well as the ability to seek and find textual evidence to support their ideas. When I taught these skills last year, I knew they were "good reader strategies," but I didn't realize the payoff they would have until this unit of study.
So here is Day 2 of character analysis. I am a proud teacher today. You know you are a super dorky ELA teacher when you get excited when a 2nd grader explains that knowing a character's traits helps to understand why characters respond to events and challenges they are presented w/ throughout a story.

No comments:
Post a Comment